Þorfinna's Place
~ My SCA Related Ramblings

Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2014

QPT Progress - preparing the blanks

My project idea for this Queen's Prize Tourney is to reproduce a small section of the Franks Casket, using cattle bone as my medium. 
This is the little section I would like to do. 

Unfortunately, today as I was cutting out the pieces of bone to make the blanks for carving, disaster struck! 


The bone split in two as I was sawing it into shape!

So, now I have only one narrow section of bone instead of two, which means only half of the above picture will fit on it. 

I've gone ahead and drawn out the left half of the scene on my panel, and will focus my efforts on that. 



If I have the time, I may try to sand down the two broken halves of the second panel and carve it in two pieces, but we'll see. Honestly, trying to get the first half carved may be project enough! 

No comments:

Post a Comment